Age Related Expectations for PE:
Long Term Plan:
Swimming is an important skill and can encourage a healthy and active lifestyle. The program of study for PE sets out the expectation that pupils should be taught to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres;
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke);
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
At Webster Primary School all children in Year 3 have weekly swimming lessons run by Manchester Swimphony. We are working in partnership with Swimphony to support our pupils who are not reaching National Curriculum expectations. Due to the impact of Covid 19 and high mobility of pupils at Webster many of our Year 6 pupils were not at Webster in Year 3 or 4.
Results for pupils in Year 6 during 2023/2024 (Swimming sessions during the year 2020/2021)
- 31% could swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 Metres
- 3% could swim a range of recognised strokes over 25m
- 7% could perform Safe Self Rescue (clown fish award)