The Early Years Foundation Stage
The EYFS is the framework for learning for children from Birth to 5 years old. Children in the EYFS learn by playing and exploring, being active, and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside.
Your child will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of learning and development:
- Personal Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language- Speaking, Listening & Understanding
- Physical Development
- Literacy- Reading and Writing
- Mathematics- Number and Shape, Space & Measure
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Children take part in taught sessions throughout the day balanced with self directed learning time in the indoor and outdoor learning environments. At Webster pupils take part in a daily phonics and maths lesson, alongside learning through their topic. Pupils take part in Drumming and music sessions with Manchester Camerata and PE lessons with Manchester City in the Community as well as dance/gymnastics/outdoor games in Reception.
Pupils are taught phonics through the Letters and Sounds scheme from Nursery to Year 1 - http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/what-is-letters-and-sounds.html
The video below models how to say the phase 2 and some phase 3 letter sounds:
The document below details the topics covered in Nursery and Reception:
Other useful documents:
- Department for Education & 4 Learning: What to expect, when? A guide to learning and development in the Early Years.
- Starting school skills poster for children
- Starting school skills information for parents/carers
Classroom tour Reception E:
Classroom tour Reception S: